Monday, March 30, 2009

May the best idea win...NOT.



With my impending graduation near, I think more and more about the industry I will soon enter. Is what they teach us in school really how the real world works. Do the best ideas always win?

Recently, as shared on AdRants, the site Killed Ideas sparked my attention. Most in the industry can attest they've had brilliant ideas killed by the agency or client. Why should these ideas die?

They shouldn't. And if it weren't for legality reasons, I'm sure there would be an addition to that book that proves it, right Chariot?

From my perspective it seems as if the best ideas are also the riskiest. Many agencies boast their desire to find all things creative and push the boundaries. Seems like a load of BS to me. If it doesn't make them quick ROI the idea doesn't make it past GO. What happened to long term commitments and brand perceptions? I may not always love CP+B work, but you have to give them credit for pushing the envelope.

I am not naive, I know money makes the world go round. But at times, this industry sometimes seems a little off to me. My opinions may be pegged as youthful idealism, but I'd like to hear from agency professionals out there. Is this how it works at your agency? Do the best ideas get shoved aside for the safer choice?

1 comment:

madjazfin said...

Timely....I read this and am listening to passionate arguments in the hallway about a client who is changing their mind 2 days before a big photo shoot. After all the necessary sign offs and approvals along the way on brand positioning, strategic and creative direction, sometimes the client is still moved internally by others who all of a sudden "don't really like the ad concepts." Sometimes these things are out of the agency's control. You push back, remind the client of the strategy, why they agreed to it in the first place. And not to mention, a change at this stage will also cost them a lot more money. The ad world isn't always rational and driven by ROI. There's a funny irony in there somewhere.

 
Real Time Web Analytics